Title: Communications Manager
About Ohio Voice
Ohio Voice’s mission to support and grow the ecosystem of non-profit, non-partisan organizations doing year-round civic engagement with underrepresented communities in order to win progressive governance that will improve people’s lives. Ohio Voice works with leaders, organizations, and campaigns doing some of the most exciting work to advance progressive change at the statewide and local level. Our core work is supporting our partners’ efforts to increase civic engagement – whether through policy advocacy, movement building, protest, voter registration, voter education, and voter turnout. Ohio Voice is an affiliate of State Voices, a national network.
About the Position
The Communication Manager will have two main functions – the primary purpose will be supporting the communications needs of the organizations we work with (external), the secondary goal will be to improve Ohio Voice’s own communications efforts (internal). Ohio Voice has worked to build a non-hierarchical environment where self-management and independence are valued, but we work in close collaboration with one another on projects.
For this position, the Communications Manager will work closely with other capacity support-focused team members (data, digital, campaign development, strategy, etc.) on external work. The Communications Manager will also work with the co-directors and Social Media Associate on internal projects.
- Proven commitment to and passion for justice
- A track record of working with underrepresented communities strongly preferred, particularly in BIPOC communities, with demonstrable cultural competency
- Communications, journalism, social media, writing, design, or other relevant experience
- Be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Be comfortable working with colleagues remotely – we maintain office space in Columbus, but are often on the move!
- a detail-oriented writer who can work across a variety of mediums for a variety of audiences (e.g. press releases for journalists, newsletters for our partners, telling the story of OV’s work for our funders)
Note: relevant volunteer, grassroots, and short-term experience is acceptable – share it!
1. Communications Capacity Support (75%):
- Writing press releases
- Press turnout calls
- Content creation for social, email, etc. – including social media pages/groups
- National press outreach
- Brand creation
- Spokesperson training
- Rapid response support
- Training on best practices in traditional and digital communications
2. Ohio Voice Communications (25%):
- Newsletters to ecosystem (partners)
- Emails to wider network of allies and supporters
- Annual report creation
- Expanding efforts identified in strategic plan to tell OV story better
Ohio Voice is an equal opportunity employer. We work toward equity in all of our work.
Starting salary for this position is $55-70,000 annually, based on qualifications and experience, plus generous benefits. This position is classified as full-time exempt.
Ohio Voice is based in Columbus, but remote work is the norm currently (during pandemic) and will be no problem for the future. Strong preference for someone based in Ohio, but open to applicants anywhere.
How to Apply
Send an email to [email protected] with “Communications Manager ” in the subject line. Include a resume, cover letter, and writing sample demonstrating your skills and experience (press release, lit piece, letter to the editor, anything). Your cover letter should explain why you are interested in this position. Applications without a cover letter or work sample addressing these topics will not be considered or responded to.
Deadline for submissions: The initial deadline for applicants will be October 1st, at which point applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The position is open until noted otherwise at www.ohvoice.org/jobs.