Title: Senior Project Manager
About the Position
The Senior Project Manager will play a key coordination and implementation role on major organizational initiatives and programs for Ohio Voice. For this position, the Senior Project Manager will work especially closely with the Co-Directors, but will also work with everyone on OV’s team as well as with external partners and other stakeholders on a regular basis.
Ohio Voice Background
Ohio Voice is the “c3 table” or “civic engagement table” in Ohio — an affiliate of State Voices nationally. Our mission is to support and grow the ecosystem of non-profit, non-partisan organizations doing year-round civic engagement with underrepresented communities in order to win progressive governance that will improve people’s lives.
Our work includes:
- Helping partners grow their impact through trainings, data and analytics support, comms and social media support, fiscal sponsorship, re-granting, and more
- Supporting the progressive ecosystem through incubation efforts and staffing the work of coalitions like One Ohio Now, The Ohio Voter Rights Coalition, and the Ohio Fair Courts Alliance
- Building on new ideas and experimentation, like ballot incubation and creating collective impact discussions and support networks for organizations joining or expanding the movement
Ohio Voice has worked to build a non-hierarchical environment where self-management and independence are valued, but we work in close collaboration with one another on projects.
Vision for Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate is highly organized, communicates actively, is reliable, flexible, relational, and functions well in collaboration with a team. They will be bottom lining multiple projects simultaneously for our team, working closely with both internal and external stakeholders. The candidate will possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to motivate and guide people to take action, as well as the coordination experience and mentality necessary to oversee implementation and accountability for the work. We are seeking an individual who can work independently on projects as well as refine processes to make them run smoothly. In addition to these qualities, it is critical that the candidate be a strong coach/manager who builds rapport and fits in well with a diverse team, but is also comfortable and effective in driving work plans and ensuring (with the team) that timelines and outcomes are adhered to.
The ideal candidate will bring existing relationships in our ecosystem in Ohio and/or a proven ability to learn and navigate an ecosystem related to justice and changemaking. Campaign, issue, and strategic experience that can be leveraged to facilitate planning and implementation of stakeholder projects would be very beneficial (e.g. knowledge of field plans, polling projects, issue expertise, power analysis — statewide and in cities, etc.). Due to the dynamic nature of our work, the candidate must be able to manage multiple priorities. We are seeking a candidate who will conduct work through the lens of racial justice, equity, and inclusion to advance equitable democracy for all Ohioans.
From an experiential level, we are looking for someone that has served in three or more previous meaningful staff and/or project management roles, with demonstrably strong results.
The Senior Project Manager is a new position at Ohio Voice and while we foster a non-hierarchical environment, this is certainly a position where we are actively seeking a leader and driver. The director will be responsible for a series of project management, coordination, staff support, and other internal-facing roles, as well as play a critical part in the launching of any new programs or initiatives.
Playing a coordination and implementation role on major organizational initiatives and programs will include:
- Holding the followup work identified in organizational assessment, including ensuring that areas of opportunity and improvement identified in the assessment are actively pursued (the org assessment was a thorough analysis of internal operations and external priorities completed in 2021, with followup items organized around the top priorities identified in our strategic plan – 1) emphasizing campaigns, 2) equipping the ecosystem to win, 3) collective planning and re-granting, and 4) telling our story)
- Developing and implementing a system for internal coordination and communication, work plans, and follow-up efforts for projects led by multiple team members (e.g. regular program reviews, supporting accountability systems, tracking new and emerging ideas and programs, etc.)
- Building relationships with individual staff members and working with them to increase their accountability to themselves and each other. As noted above, Ohio Voice generally works within a non-hierarchical structure detailed in the book Reinventing Organizations. We are seeking to build healthy, functional systems for team support that recognize peoples’ humanity and the inherent contradictions in seeking transformative change for individuals, communities, and our planet while stuck in capitalism. We work to promote wellness and self-care and to accomplish our goals.
- Supporting the development, completion, and regular update of collective planning documents (e.g. 2022 Voter Engagement Plan, annual program plans for specific projects, strategic plan annual goals, RFPs for re-granting, etc.).
- Helping launch newly identified initiatives/programs and ensure we are incorporating them successfully into the organization, balancing staff capacity, and lifting them up for and with partners, donors, and/or other stakeholders
- Facilitating partners and other stakeholders toward shared goals as part of collaborations across our ecosystem
Salary & Job Information
Starting salary for this position is $70-80,000 annually, based on qualifications and experience, plus generous benefits that include health insurance, access to professional development funds, sabbatical, and more. This position is classified as full-time exempt. We expect it to be a long-term role with our team.
The responsibilities will vary and there will be periods where the work is more internal, and others that are more external facing. Some evenings and weekends will be required.
Ohio Voice is formally based in Columbus, but remote work is the norm currently (during pandemic). Applicants should live in Ohio or be willing to move to Ohio. We expect this position will be roughly 70% remote work and 30% in-person meetings, with occasional national travel for conferences, meetings, and/or events.
How to Apply
Send an email to [email protected] with “Senior Project Manager” in the subject line. Include a resume and a thoughtful cover letter telling us why you are interested in this position specifically and what skills and experience you would bring to the role. Applications without personalized cover letters are unlikely to be considered and may not be responded to.
Deadline for submissions: The initial deadline for applicants will be Friday, June 10th, at which point applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The position is open until noted otherwise at www.ohvoice.org/jobs.
A Note to Potential Candidates:
Studies have shown that women, trans, non-binary folks, and BIPOC are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization, and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a background less traditional to our field of work, and that’s okay. We would strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.
Ohio Voice is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities.
Ohio Voice will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws. Justice impacted applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Ohio Voice is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let us know in your application email and/or prior to an interview.